The whole issue of portscanning is debatable, some people say it should be illegal, and others saying it's not a crime to 'peek in the windows' so to say. I won't really get into the debate, but there isn't much you can do about people portscanning you. Only open the ports you need(web,ftp,smtp, whatever) and block the rest with iptables or other firewalling software.

Emailing the administrators at the ISP the scan came from and hoping they have a policy against port scans from their users is about all you can do.

Dan
http://five2one.org/

Bill Beauchemin wrote:
I went and applied evry single security patch that mandrake had using
MasndrakeUpdate and remembered I had Snort running. I found a huge
portscan.log file and tooka look to find that the day before my system
was hacked it was portscaned by one ip from Roadrunner. I sent them a
nice email but my questionsis. What if anything can I do about all these
portscans? Is there somewhere I can email to have these assholes delt
with?