On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Chad wrote:

> I remember reading an article in Linux Journal or something like that that
> explained how to setup snort or some other software package to automatically
> detect a port scan in progress and then to automatically block any other
> connection attempts by that IP address.  It automatically creates a block
> using iptables/ipchains so there is no hacking risk if they portscan you
> first because their IP will be blocked.  That is, unless they on on DHCP /
> Dial-Up / or using someone else's computer as their jump-off.  However, it's
> better than nothing.
>
> Unfortunately, I forgot what the software was, but I'm sure a good google
> search using some of the keywords I've mentioned will find it.

This is very useful; some Linux based firewalls such as Watchguard have
a similar feature. But I've noticed that the IP scanning is becoming
smarter to get around these blocks. The scanner will touch a few
machines, just under the lockout threshold, then try again a few hours
or days later. Some blocks won't check multiple IPs so a scanner could
jump between a range of IPs and not trigger the alarm with a portscan.