Portsentry does this well for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:expert-owner@;linux-mandrake.com]On Behalf Of Chad
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 1:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [expert] portscans

I remember reading an article in Linux Journal or something like that that
explained how to setup snort or some other software package to automatically
detect a port scan in progress and then to automatically block any other
connection attempts by that IP address.  It automatically creates a block
using iptables/ipchains so there is no hacking risk if they portscan you
first because their IP will be blocked.  That is, unless they on on DHCP /
Dial-Up / or using someone else's computer as their jump-off.  However, it's
better than nothing.

Unfortunately, I forgot what the software was, but I'm sure a good google
search using some of the keywords I've mentioned will find it.

Regards,

Chad