On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:46:19 -0800 Todd Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Franki wrote on Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 06:40:45PM +0800 :
> >
> > I am sick to death of my error_log for http being full of cmd.exe and
> > root.exe stuff..
> > my logs are always 90% full of this crap.
> > anyone got any ideas???
>
> In your /etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf file, put this:
>
> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>       redirect /MSADC http://www.microsoft.com
>       redirect /c http://www.microsoft.com
>       redirect /d http://www.microsoft.com
>       redirect /_mem_bin http://www.microsoft.com
>       redirect /msadc http://www.microsoft.com
>       RedirectMatch (.*)\cmd.exe$ http://www.microsoft.com$1
> </IfModule>
>
> Blue skies...                 Todd

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the suggestion...  I've added the following to my web page at
http://new.pfortin.com/Linux/MSVTS/ -- any suggestions for improving the
message are welcome...  as stated at the bottom of most of my web pages,
the information is covered by the GnuFDL; so have at it...  :^)

I'm monitoring my logs and sniffing the http traffic to make sure this
works (still waiting -- I have a lot of DROP entries in my iptables)... if
not, I'll update the info.

Thanks,
Pierre

Update -- 11/08/2002

After some tips from the Mandrake Expert list, and some analysis of my
logs, I've made a change to my web server configuration:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RedirectMatch (.*\.exe.*) http://www.microsoft.com$1
</IfModule>

Simply put: this change redirects any URL request containing .exe to the
web site of the company that provides the platforms on which these viruses
and trojans thrive.

For over a year, I've referred to the Micro$oft Windows operating system
as a Virus Transport System on my pages. I also posted a warning that I
would act in self-defense against any attacks on my systems. As seen
below, I have implemented automated procedures which attempted to notify
the owners of the infected systems. Thousands of e-mails were injected
into infected systems (probably unread since Windows is not a multi-user
system and the owners are not setup to check for mail on their own
machines), and many more thousands were rejected by other infected
systems.

Now, rather than try to get the individual machine owners to fix their
infected hosts, I am now taking my battle to the root cause of these
attacks: Microsoft!

I do not, and will never serve .exe pages/files; so there is no valid
reason for such URLs to hit my servers. Any that do, can only be
considered attacks on my machines by Microsoft platforms (or Microsoft
Virus Transport System inspired platforms). Therefore, all future attempts
will be redirected to the platform provider. My servers are now configured
to redirect all attacks where the URL contains .exe to Microsoft, since my
servers are totally M$-free.

Now that Microsoft has changed its licensing to further ensure that their
software is considered more of a loan, it makes even more sense to
redirect attacks to the owner of the software platform.

If it became possible to identify the hardware platform during these
attacks, I would also redirect the attacks to the appropriate hardware
vendor.

It is interesting to note that a Google search for "microsoft virus
transport system" returns over 40,000 hits and the very first one contains
a pointer to one of my web sites. Searching for "micro$oft virus transport
system" yields over 700 hits; mine is first again. So my claims of
self-defense are no secret.