Hi Marc,

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 09:12, Marc wrote:
> Is it possible that customers can connect to my site while my ports are
> stealthed (as in not detectable by portscans?).

No. "Stealth ports" mean that when one sends a SYN packet (which
initializes any TCP connection) one gets no response. Effectively the
same as not having lan cable (or whatever) connected. Your site would be
"stealth" to portscans and "stealth" to your customers as well!

If you want to serve web pages and want the site to be available to
everyone, then you must be open to portscans (on port 80). You could of
course use configure Apache to listen to another port but that would
mean that should anyone want to visit your site, they would have to know
the new port number. Which they won't.

Note that nothing prevents you from putting all your other ports in
"Stealth mode".

You should consider replacing ftp with sftp (see openssh package).

--
Mikko Lipasti
Polarcom Consulting Oy