[EMAIL PROTECTED] grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, David Guntner wrote:
> >
> > I need to unmount my /var filesystem so that I can use diskdrake to resize
> > it.  I've gone to init level 1 (single user mode), which kills all
> > processes that should be using it (like syslog), but even then, any attempt
> > to unmount /var gets a "it's busy" message.  I don't know *what* it could
> > be busy with, since the various daemons which log stuff there are shut
> > down.
>
> Can you try doing a:
>  find . -name \* -exec fuser {} \;
>
> Maybe postfix, mysql, rpm has something open?

As I mentioned in a previous message, I don't know what it would find.  At
init level 1, none of those things are running.  A "ps -ef" shows only the
bare-bones processes running needed to make it a running machine. :-)

Will the above command reveal something that "lsof /var" would not?  (Doing
that command shows nothing holding anything open on that directory when in
init level 1.)

                       --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!