On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:03, David Guntner wrote:
> James Sparenberg grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >
> > Just an oddball thought.  What if you boot from disk 1 and then don't
> > mount the partitions.  IF (and it should be ) diskdrake is there, then
> > you will have no problem with the partitions being mounted.
>
> By "disk 1," are you referring to CD number 1?  If so, are you saying that
> you can boot from it in a way which *doesn't* start the installer? :-)

He is suggesting that you can boot from Install CD #1, hit the function
key for more options (F1?) and then type "rescue<cr>" to boot into
rescue mode.  From here you should be able to run fdisk to repartition
the disk, mount/umount filesystems or (hint) have catastrophic accidents
that result in staggering amounts of lost data.

My personal favorite for this type of thing is LNX-BBC burned onto a
small, business card sized CD that I carry around in my bag of tricks.
The installation CDs are way too large and heavy to tote everywhere.

Good luck, and backup important data first.

Seth