Hey, guess what! I tried it again, and this time sndconfig worked!
In 8.2, sndconfig worked instantaneously. In 9.0 it takes a looooong
time. I guess what I did before was kill sndconfig before it had
a chance to finish. This time I just left it, and when I came back
15 minutes later, it found the ESS card. Sucks that it took so long,
but at least it works.

Miark