On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 03:35 PM, bascule wrote:

using urpmi via sudo, will the key checking be done as root or as the user
runing sudo, that would explain some messages i get about 'bad' keys since i
haven't got the mandrake ones installed as user, just wanted to check the
behaviour here
IIRC, and I've not looked to confirm this, it *should* be done as root. Actually, I know this is the case, now that I come to think of it.

sudo basically runs urpmi as root. To that end, it will be using root's environment, not the user environment.

I know this because when I build updates, root has the private key to sign packages, and using sudo, I sign the packages with that key. The user doesn't even have the public key (which is a nuisance, but a different story). So when I want to verify a package, if I just do "rpm -K *.rpm", I get unknown sigs. If I do "sudo rpm -K *.rpm", they're verified correctly.

I suspect the same should be for urpmi. IIRC, urpmi shouldn't do anything strange or different to inherit info from the user executing sudo.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"