er no actually, i had assumed it was because the mandrake - ad plf keys
weren't in the user keyring, i read your reply as saying that using sudo the
root environment and thus root's keyring was used anyway so any 'bad
signature' warnings weren't due to lack of keys since i do have these keys in
root.
however, i just urpme'd mplayer, ran:
$sudo urpmi mplayer
and recieved 'bad signature' warning about all the files, which were plf ones,
i chose not to install, then i su'd to root and ran :
#urpmi mplayer
and as root i received no warnings and the install went straight ahead
so i urpme'd mplayer again, exported root's plf key to my user keyring, ran
$sudo urpmi mplayer
again, and this time, no bad signature warning, suggesting that i do need the
user to have keys if using urpmi via sudo,
so now maybe i have worked it out! :-)

sorry if i've been confusing, i could have checked this earlier, i just wasn't
sure what was 'supposed' to happen :-)

bascule

--
"He dropped his voice still lower. In the stillness, a fly
would not have dared cleat its throat. "