On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 21:53, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> On Sunday 17 November 2002 21:10, SainTiss wrote:
> > No error messages at all, although the messages file is still as big as
> > I mentioned...
>

> Can you please stop to CCing me ? That really gets on my nerves, since I get
> every mail of you twice and as I answered you you should realize I'm
> subscribed to the list.

Ok, sorry about that... It's just that some people tend to filter
mailing list messages in a separate folder, and when you're CC'd it's
easier to see if a message is especially intended for you... I like it
at least...
But I'll remember not to do that anymore :-)

> And I'm in no way a crack, but maybe a 'logger "LOGROTATE: I was here !" ' or
> something like that in /etc/logrotate.d/syslog would be helpfull for
> debugging. Maybe it is the fault of an application that is polluting the
> syslog due errors. You should be shure if the:
>
> - cronjob would be executed (determine e.g. as mentioned above)
> - logrotate really was not working (looking at the logs : are there really no
> messages.1.gz , messages2.gz etc, are the entries really that old, that you
> can be sure, they want be rotated ?)

When I insert a line "size=100k" in the /etc/logrotate.d/syslog file,
and then run the logrotate command, the files do get rotated...
So probably the problem is with the "weekly" thing...

Does anyone know how exactly logrotate determines if a week has passed?

Thanks,

Hans