On 20 Nov 2002 00:23:16 -0500, "Lyvim Xaphir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>said:
>On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 21:33, Brian Parish wrote:
>> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 12:47, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>
>> > I am transplanting my cdrom, video card and hard disk from a dual
>> > CPU PII 266 box to a single CPU PIV 1.7GHz box.
>> >
>> > I am betting that I can simply choose the non-smp kernel when I boot
>> > up to get me going.
>> >
>> > If I lose the bet, I am going to have to re-install.
>> >
>> > I thought there was a way to put the list of RPMs on a disk so that
>> > when you re-install, you don't have to slog through all the menus to
>> > chose what you want. Does anyone know the command to make the file
>> > and how to invoke it during the install?
>> >
>> > Much obliged.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Matthew
>> >
>> Fire up the Control Center and look under Boot.  You'll find an Auto
>> Install icon there.
>>
>> HTH
>> Brian
>
>Brian is correct.  But after you create the disk there is more that you
>can do.  If you do a directory of the disk you will see several files,
>but the one you are really interested in is "auto_inst.cfg".  This is
>the file that contains the names of ALL the rpms that were installed in
>your system at install time.  If you pull the file into an editor you
>will see them.
>
>With this disk, you can start a new install of a newer version of
>Mandrake (such as 9.0) and then when you get to the package selection
>part, you unselect everything and load the rpm package names from the
>floppy with the auto_inst file. (using the "load from floppy" option)
>The rpm names in that file are not version specific, therefore all newer
>versions of the rpms will be pulled into the install routine.
>
>Then the only thing to do is to peruse the flat list of the 9.0 packages
>and select what might be new and interesting that wasn't in the 8.2
>distro.
>
>The point is that even if auto_inst.cfg was created under 8.2, it will
>still work with 9.0.  (not the entire install disk, just auto_inst.cfg)
>This allows you to save yourself from reselecting everything whenever
>you do a move from an older distro to a newer one (Mandrake, that is.)
>
>Just use the floppy load option in the package selection portion of the
>Mandrake installer.

Turns out that after I wrote, I found the AutoInst disk I made about two installs ago.
Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and discovered that it is nothing more than a
PERL SCRIPT!!!! It's just an array of rpms in no discernible order. Soooooo, I simply
did

        rpm -qa | perl -ane '$F[0]=~s/-[0-9].*//;print "$F[0]\n" | sort -u > foobar

and then slapped the whole mess into the auto_inst.cfg file, taking care to remove the
few rpms that were not on the installation disk.

Touchdown, ballgame over. Well, not quite. After I did that, I took the machine apart
and started transplanting the pieces into the newer machine only to discover that the
old machine had an AGP1 video card and the new machine is an AGP2/4. So, the port is
on hold until I can buy a new video card tomorrow.

Thanks for your assistance.

--
Matthew O. Persico