On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:03:18 +1100, "Ron Stodden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>said:
>Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>> I am transplanting my cdrom, video card and hard disk from a dual CPU PII 266 box
>to a single CPU PIV 1.7GHz box.
>>
>> I am betting that I can simply choose the non-smp kernel when I boot up to get me
>going.
>>
>> If I lose the bet, I am going to have to re-install.
>>
>> I thought there was a way to put the list of RPMs on a disk so that when you
>re-install, you don't have to slog through all the menus to chose what you want. Does
>anyone know the command to make the file and how to invoke it during the install?
>
>You don't really provide enough information.   Simplest way is to borrow
>the hard disk from the source machine and put it on the new machine for
>the following exercise:

Not necessary. I'm not borrowing the disk, I'm moving it. Period. The old machine is
going out to pasture. After I drop the disk in the new machine, I will do the
re-install, taking care NOT to format any partitions other than / /usr /var /tmp and
swap. I have since figured out that auto_inst.cfg is the file I need to restore the
rpms as previously built. See previous note in this thread.

Thanks
--
Matthew O. Persico