Yes it is a poort security practice IF you have something to protect.  My system is a simple home system and of course I have limited resources that dictate weather or not I even get a firewall or fileserver.  Perhaps someday when I have an old box I can use as a firewall I will set things up that way.  Ya work with whatcha got. ;-)

So given the above, the problem is still a problem.

KevinO wrote:

This probably isn't what you want to hear but...

A firewall should be a firewall and NOT a file server. It is poor security
practice to put anything on a firewall box that is not absolutely required.

Use your existing box as a file server and get another, smaller box and use it
as your firewall, NAT (connection sharing) box.

My $.02

KevinO

Jim C wrote:

HAaaAAAaaalp! ;-)

Background:  Server is Mdk 9.0 and my two clients are XP boxes.
I can't get Samba, shorewall and Connection Shareing to play nice on the
same box.  If two of them work then the third does not.  The shorewall
website says to add these rules to /etc/shorewall/rules:

[]# cat rules.sav
ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     137:139
ACCEPT  fw      loc     tcp     137,139
ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     1024:           137
ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     137:139   ACCEPT  loc     fw
tcp     137,139  ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     1024:           137
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

Unfortunatley this does not help.  What I get is a really slow refresh
of My Network Places and then clicking on the box with shorewall and ICS
on it causes the error message: "//enigma is not accessible.  You might
not have permission to use the network resource. Contact your
Adminstrator..." yata, yata, yata.  Now samba should be set up right
because I've been able to access it once or twice while fiddleing. Only
at the expense of something else, however.  Is there a port I am missing
or something?  The rest of the rules file currently looks like this:

#ACTION  SOURCE         DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE
ORIGINAL
#                                               PORT    PORT(S)    DEST
ACCEPT  net     fw      udp     53      -
ACCEPT  net     fw      tcp     53,22,20,21     -
ACCEPT  masq    fw      udp     53      -
ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp     53,22,20,21     -
ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     53      -
ACCEPT  loc     fw      tcp     53,22,20,21     -
ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp
domain,bootps,http,https,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp    -
ACCEPT  masq    fw      udp
domain,bootps,http,https,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp    -
ACCEPT  fw      masq    tcp     631,137,138,139 -
ACCEPT  fw      masq    udp     631,137,138,139 -
ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     137:139
ACCEPT  fw      loc     tcp     137,139
ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     1024:           137
ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     137:139   ACCEPT  loc     fw
tcp     137,139  ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     1024:           137
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

- --
KevinO

Matz's Law:
        A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.