Jack Coates wrote:
I know the shorewall question can be resolved, but as KevinO points out
it shouldn't be resolved by someone who's not fully aware of the issues
at stake.

In the last five days I've gotten nearly a thousand denied attempts to
relay spam mail through my server clogging up my logs right now in
I don't have a mail, web or ftp server. I access only through SSH and SFTP. I am single and live with a Creative Writing major who is not a techy. That I know of, there has never been a "snot nosed brat" in my apartment in the 5 years that I have lived here, unless fraternity brothers count and I know that the guys in question are far more interested in hedonism than anything technical. ;-)

You've also not considered that as a graduate student, I might literally have more important things to do. Security is on my hit list but unfortunately it is not at the top. Graduation is. ;-) I do use firewalls on my some of my clients that are windows based but the learning curve for linux based firewalls prevents.

I tell you what. :-) If it concerns you so much I will be happy to use any configuration you are willing to provide that allows samba on the intranet and blocks it from the internet and also does internet connection sharing and SSH/SFTP. Eventually I would like to use tcp wrappers for this sort of thing, though.