On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 19:27, James Sparenberg wrote:
> This is one point I do have to give to M$ they do seem to be able to
> dynamically map around bad blocks on HDD's and ram a lot better than
> Linux or FreeBSD.

I don't know if Windows actively maps round bad memory (and in my case
its only a single bit). However it could be the difference in
distribution of kernel-mode structures. If windows keeps them all in one
place but Linux keeps them all over memory it could make Linux more
susceptible. After all corrupt memory in user-mode is never a problem -
you just lose the one process. It would of had to been a kernel
structure getting clobbered to cause the hang, I'm guessing a pageing
request or something like that rather than a syscall.

> As for the badmem tools I've never been able to get
> them running nor have I really taken a hard run at it.  (I cheated and
> swapped memory with my wifes windows box)

Can't get the memtest tools to compile under Mandrake, failing to link
to the maths library for some reason (and the make needs to be run as
root which is bad).

> The other thing I have seen
> is that sometimes running mem at a slower speed works as well. (bad bit
> at 133 but not at 100).  As for DDR memory... haven't got any so don't
> know.

After spending a good hour on the phone to PC world who siad they can't
diagnose the problem unless I'm running windows I swapped the sticks.
Hopefully this should solve the problem. My college will find out how
well Windows will cope soon.