On Wednesday 04 December 2002 06:04 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 15:41, Mark Weaver wrote:
> > KevinO wrote:
> > > <rant>
> > > I ran (fought with, suffered with) SNF for several months. Now we use
> > > Smoothwall. (IPCop should be similar)

Well I must say I did the same about a year ago. Gave up. Then I got hacked
and decided to give it another go. Same exact trouble. It would hang on
reboot at eth1 (outside interface) Every time. I rebuilt it 4 times and each
time same thing. I decided to research some more. I found on the mandrake
security list serve. Snort was trying to bring the nic up in promiscous mode.
Once I figured out a way around this, I was able to get it working. Some VERy
nice features in it. Buggy, yes. It is a wonderful way (once up) to play with
snort, snortsnarf, and it has some wonderful web based monitoring tools.