James Sparenberg wrote:
On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 15:41, Mark Weaver wrote:

KevinO wrote:

<rant>
I ran (fought with, suffered with) SNF for several months. Now we use
Smoothwall. (IPCop should be similar)

My suggestion: Use smoothwall or something similar. Don't bother with SNF.

Sorry Mandrake. I like your distributions and I support you financially.

But, SNF was a terrible product. Slow, wouldn't forward UDP (despite allowing
you to configure that in without any warnings or complaints.), and too big of
a distribution for a firewall.

SNF > 300MB download

Smoothwall < 30MB download  (and it does pretty much everything SNF claims it
will) Easier to use/figure out web interface too.

I consider the time I spent with SNF to have been a total waste.

</rant>

KevinO

James Sparenberg wrote:
You mean you learned "nothing" about iptables and how to use them during that time using SNF?

Mark

No.... SNF is the 2.2 kernel and uses ipchains.....

ah...well thats no fun. I knew there wasn't reason I hadn't bothered with that.

Mark