Hi List,

This evening when I attempted to boot my Mandrake machine I was rudely greeted with the console login screen. This in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing, except this machine is supposed to boot to runlevel 5. After some investigation I came to find out that the display manager is not working correctly. I can not start an X session on this Mandrake machine. It had been working this morning and didn't display any strange behavior.

When I run the command *service dm status* it reports back to the screen that dm is dead, but there is a lock in place. If I run the command *service dm restart* it trys to bring up the login screen, but then fails.

Since this is my first experience with any type of X or display problems with Linux I was wondering if any one had any ideas as to what this might be. While I'm at it what package does the display manager come from so I might try reinstalling that package in the event something happened to vital files on the disk that hosed "dm"?

Vital machine stats are as follows:

Dell Dimension 2100
Celeron 1.2Ghz CPU
256MB SDRAM
Intel 810 video chipset (onboard)

I've had Mandrake running on this machine since getting it new this past May and this is the very first time I've had trouble like this of any kind. It's really got me puzzled.

Mark