Mark

  Getting this information might help you or us in troubleshooting the
problem.

1.  what dm do you use kdm or gdm (kde or gnome) or somthing completely
different.
2.  as root cd to /var/log/ then do

        tail -f XFree86.0.log (yours might be 1 or 2 but for most is 0.)

Then put a bunch of ++++++ or some other symbol across the screen (to
mark what's new vs old) and try to start an x session using startx .
Enclose this output and about the last 20 lines of what startx spits out
when it dies.  Also look at the last few lines of /var/log/messages to
see if it has any info.

My guess to the problem is.

1.  It forgot what kind of mouse you have.
2.  xfs (X font server) isn't running, or is dieing immediately.
3.  /tmp might have lost a couple of files and this really messes things
up.
4. The linux gods have decided to keep you busy over the holidays *grin*

James