Don't know how hard it will be, but why don't you try to recompile divx
player/driver yourself? Probably you will get better improvement with
this than playing with kernel if you are not short of memory or running
many services at the same time. I have never played with Xfree, but it
seems to me that you could get more improvement than playing with kernel
in this precise case.
If you want to have a look on recompiling divx stuff, you'll probably
find in source files an archive called something like 'Makefile' in wich
you can change the optimization levels for gcc. Most programs (including
kernel) are optimized in level 2 (-O2) and compatible with any 386 or
(as in Mandrake) compatible with classic Pentium. Maybe you can change
this to your specific processor and change some optimizations:
-O3 --> Mainly will tell gcc that it can re-order machine level
instructions to minimize queues of instructions waiting to be procesed
-march=athlon --> Object code will be athlon processor specific.
Depending on your processor it will be i686, i586, pentium, ...
See 'man gcc' for more information are there are more options, but they
will probably give you less improvement.

I have had up to 12% improvement on a program I did myself just by using
-O3 and processor specific.

Another thing is trying to overclock a bit the graphic card and/or main
board/processor.

Good luck!!! (and tell us about!!! ;-))

--
           Diego  Dominguez
              __/\__

Yahoo! Sorteos
Consulta si tu número ha sido premiado en
Yahoo! Sorteos http://loteria.yahoo.es