At 04.15 05/01/2003, you wrote:
> Will I obtain a 5-8% speed improvement if I recompile kernel 2.4.20 (from
> kernel.org plus http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ patches)

Dunno. But you might be able to use ideparm on your dvd drive and
speed up its access - which may or may not be the bottleneck, and
thus, the cause of the skips. You didn't mention whether your dvd was
ide or scsi. Also what are you using for the viewer? mplayer is really
good.
I have a cd drive ide, dma on. Viewer? mplayer, of course!

I will first recompile the latest mplayer (the pre I had could be slowed down, there was a bug in the audio decoder), then I will recompile it with the options suggested in the previous mail, then I will try to recompile the kernel, then xfree (I will read the docs, none suggested me whether to use srpms or source).

One thing remains unclear: the patches available in the site mentioned before are all the patches MDK applies to the kernel? Some time ago Todd told me there was a file with the complete list, but I haven't found it [sorry, I'm perfectionist...]

[now I need some time, I will report the results in the next weeks...

Thanks
Olaf

<olaf@ kjws.com> for every kind of mail, except spam! :-)