I face a lot of troubles to set up lirc on Mandrake 9. I searched in mailing lists and modified some scripts but with no success.
I have a TV card Hauppauge PCI (BT878) with IR remote control. The TV card works well but I cannot make the IRRC work. It works well under windows though.

I installed lirc et lirc-remotes packages, then used modprobe lirc_i2c which loads lirc_i2c and lirc_dev modules in memory.
I also copied

cp lircd.conf.hauppauge /etc/lircd.conf
cp lircmd.conf.hauppauge /etc/lircmd.conf

1) I edited the file /etc/sysconfig/lircd
to indicate which module to use

# Customized setings for lirc daemon

# The hardware driver to use, run lircd --driver=? for a list

#DRIVER=default
CONFIG=/etc/lircd.conf
# Hardware driver module to load
HWMOD=lirc_i2c

# The device node that communicates with the IR device.

# with devfs enabled
DEVICE=/dev/lirc/0

Note : the line '/dev/lirc/0' was already in the file, I do not know if I need to change it (I use devfs)

2) I edited /etc/modules.conf and added :
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
However, it does not load lirc_i2c automatically when starting, I still need to load it manually

3) devfsd does not create a directory ' /dev/lirc ' then there is no /dev/lirc/0. Is there a way to create it ?

4) I found in the expert mailing-list that lirc modules where not in the correct place in the script ' /etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd ', so I also corrected but no success...

What is weird is that the red led of the receiver shows continuously (although it should show only when receiving a signal from the remote control). By stopping the service lircd, then restarting, or by removing and loading again the lirc_i2c module, that light sometimes turns off. However, when I press the remote control then, the led shows and stays on.
Has someone the same hardware and succeeded to configure it ?

Could Mandrake give updated initscripts and lirc packages for that ?

Thanks
Eric