I now vaguely remember that in my case the mandrake lirc rpms were only built for
certain devices (meaning the hauppague was not "included").  What happens when you
type "lircd --driver=?" at the prompt?

IIRC, it not enough just to load the right drivers.  You also need to make sure lircd
is compiled with appropriate device support. If your devices are not returned by that
command, then you need to download the lirc source, do ./configure, make, etc. and I
believe it will give you lircd that makes the devices correctly.

-------