Hi Buchan and All,

I have appended my smb.conf at the bottom of this email for you to review.
Your comments are greatly appreciated. I have also appended some additional
info of my LM9.0 system.

Regards,
Norman

:::: I'm trying to add driver to the print$ share in Windows 2000 as a
:::: printer administrator. But after selecting Printers/Server
:::: Properties/Drivers, all tabs cannot be selected (grayed out).
:::
::: You need to be listed in 'printer admin group' or a member of such a
::: group, such as:
:::
::: printer admin group = @adm root
::: etc
:::
::: BTW, process is like this, browse to the Printers share on the
::: machine, right-click the printer, choose properties, say no when
::: offered to install a driver, click advanced, choose "New Driver".
::
:: I do have printer_admin = @"MYNTDOMAIN\Print Admins", root. I also
:: set my Print Admins to be the primary group for the operators. I
:: also tried the process you described, but I still got access denied.
:: Does this have to do with CUPS? Do I need to use cupsaddsmb? But I
:: can't find the PPD from CUPS. They were available in the CUPS web
:: config.
:
: No, if you use the cupsaddsmb, you end up using generic ps drivers on
: the windows clients, in most cases you want the windows driver to be
: installed there.

Thank you. I guess I won't proceed with cupsaddsmb further.

::: Well, you should also have some directories under there such as
::: W32X86 etc. Check the perms of those, and also ensure the share has
::: enabled write for whoever is trying to upload drivers.
::
:: All subfolder are there. It is 755 for all subfolders. The
:: subfolders were created by Mandrake by default. I even did a
:: setfacl -m g:"ARKONDOMAIN\Print Admins":rwx /var/lib/samba/printers,
:: and gave rx access for all parent folders. But still unsuccessful 8(
:: Please help.
:
: You need write access to the folders *below* /var/lib/samba/printers, so
: try:
: # setfacl -d -m g:"ARKONDOMAIN\Print Admins":rwx /var/lib/samba/printers
:
:: Regards,
:: Norman
:
: It might help to send me your whole smb.conf so I can see exactly how
: you are setup.

I tried changing the winbind separator to \

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2003/01/14 14:44:12

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = ARKONDOMAIN
 netbios name = PRNSERVER
 server string = Samba Server %v
 security = DOMAIN
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 obey pam restrictions = Yes
 password server = PDCSERVER
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 printcap name = cups
 character set = ISO8859-15
 os level = 18
 preferred master = No
 local master = No
 domain master = No
 dns proxy = No
 winbind uid = 10000-20000
 winbind gid = 10000-20000
 template shell = /bin/bash
 winbind separator = +
 winbind use default domain = Yes
 printer admin = root, @"ARKONDOMAIN\Print Admins"
 printing = cups
 print command = lp -d %p -o raw %s; rm -f %s

[hp5p]
 comment = HP LaserJet 5P--Show Room
 path = /var/spool/samba/hp5p
 guest ok = Yes
 printable = Yes
 print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s
 printer name = hp5p

[print$]
 comment = Printer Drivers
 path = /var/lib/samba/printers
 write list = root, @"ARKONDOMAIN\Print Admins"
 guest ok = Yes
 dos filetimes = Yes

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 guest ok = Yes
 printable = Yes
 browseable = No

----

[root@prn root]# setfacl -d -m g:"Print Admins":rwx /var/lib/samba/printers/
[root@prn root]# getfacl /var/lib/samba/printers
# file: var/lib/samba/printers
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:Print Admins:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:Print Admins:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::r-x

[root@prn root]# smbstatus

Samba version 2.2.7
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
IPC$         ARKONDOMAIN+domainadmin ARKONDOMAIN+Print Admins  5178
2139-1-20 (192.168.22.34) Tue Jan 14 14:45:23 2003
IPC$         ARKONDOMAIN+domainadmin ARKONDOMAIN+Print Admins  5178
2139-1-20 (192.168.22.34) Tue Jan 14 14:44:49 2003

No locked files

[root@prn printers]# ls -l
total 20
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root            6 Nov 25 10:15 W32ALPHA/
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root            6 Nov 25 10:15 W32MIPS/
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root            6 Nov 25 10:15 W32PPC/
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root            6 Nov 25 10:15 W32X86/
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root            6 Nov 25 10:15 WIN40/
[root@prn printers]# pwd
/var/lib/samba/printers

[root@prn drivers]# ls
ADFONTS.MFM   ADOBEPS5.DLL  cupsdrvr.dll  DEFPRTR2.PPD  PSMON.DLL
ADOBEPS4.DRV  ADOBEPSU.DLL  cups.hlp      hplj5p_1.ppd
ADOBEPS4.HLP  ADOBEPSU.HLP  cupsui.dll    ICONLIB.DLL
[root@prn drivers]# pwd
/usr/share/cups/drivers
[root@prn drivers]# getfacl /usr/share/cups/drivers
# file: usr/share/cups/drivers