Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
Mark Weaver wrote:

Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
 > Mark Weaver wrote:
 >
 >> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 11:30 am, Tibbetts, Ric scribbled
 >> nervously:

 >> connections

 >> rejects

 >> an

 >> from

 >>> I shut it off when it started puking like that. THen I cleaned
 >>> out /etc/hosts/deny.
 >>>
 >>> But it's still not accepting any connections, it's just quieter
 >>> about it. It's just not receiving anything. When it did this the
 >>> other day, xinetd was down. I checked that... alls well there.
 >>> It's running.
 >>>
 >>> this is really getting frustrating! If I were 3000 miles closer,
 >>> I'd shoot the thing between it's transistors, and rebuild it. But
 >>> I'm just

 >>> bit to far away for that.
 >>>
 >>> I can still ssh in, so at least I can work on it. But I'm lost as
 >>

 >> why
 >>
 >>> it started doing this again... It was fine, up until about a half
 >>>

 >> hour
 >>
 >>> ago.. Then it just stopped receiving connections. There's nothing
 >>> in
 >>

 >> the
 >>
 >>> logs.. I even tried the M$ method: Reboot.. no joy. It didn't
 >>> help.
 >>>
 >>> And stopping portsentry doesn't make any difference. It's not the
 >>> mail system either. I reverted back to the pre-spam
 >>

 >> filter
 >>
 >>> version. That didn't make any difference. It's just started
 >>> rejecting all connections.
 >>>
 >>> gotta be a reason....
 >>>
 >>> Ric
 >>

 >> well...this sounds horribly familiar, so I'll set to work trying to
 >>  recall what it was I was doing when this happened to me, and how I
 >>  handled the situation. damned thing of it I should have kept up my
 >>  journal of that period. there was a time when everything I touched
 >> on that machine turned to crap! it's not so bad now cause I've had
 >> a lot of practice. :)  don't worry though...it'll come to
 >> me...eventually.
 >

 > Ok, let's get basic. It was running when I first checked on it this
 > morning. The spam filter was tight, so I loosened that up a little
 > (pure postfix config file stuff. NO systems level stuff). Then I
 > restarted postfix, and the server stopped receiving connections.
 >
 > I rebooted.
 >
 > Then portsentry went crazy on the reporting, and started rejecting
 > every incoming mail connection. (actually, I suspect that they were
 > being rejected anyway, there was no new mail coming in before that).
 >
 > The last time it started acting like that, xinetd wasn't running.
 > This time it is.
 >
 > The firewall is up. iptables is running.
 >
 > postfix is up
 >
 > I can "send" mail from it, and users from inside that network can
 > pass through it, so masq'ing is working right.
 >
 > Why is it rejecting ALL incoming e-Mail connections?

> [...]

Ric,

how is it you're certain that the connections to port 25 are being
interpreted as attacks on the system? apart from PortSentry I can't
think of anything else that would cause that port to be closed and
refuse a connection. the only other cause for the connection being
refused is if the service itself isn't running.

Ok, really dumb question, but I'm not leaving any stone unturned at this point....

"What service"? Which one?

if you're refering to which service it would be in the /etc/services file then it would be port 25 smtp/tcp
--
Mark
This laptop powered by Mandrake Linux 9.0.5