On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 21:44, Damon Lynch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are the GUI network tools supposed to take care of all changes needed to
> connect through KPPP instead of through an already configured ethernet
> adapter?  That is, change the default gateway, change shorewall
> configuration, and make sure that DNS is ok?  And do all of this with
> the ethernet adapter still present?  I recently had to change the way
> Mandrake connects to the Internet, from cable to regular modem.  I tried
> the GUI tool without success, but was able to figure it out manually
> after a little research and changes in /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> If the network GUI tools are supposed to do this automatically (with the
> different profiles), then I suppose there is a bug in them. Or else it
> is a missing feature?  Can someone replicate this in the 9.1 beta?
>
> Thanks,
> Damon

I have to admit that I have always had problems with this. At home I
have adsl and at work a small, fixed-IP mixed lan, with dial-up internet
connection.Every time I move my laptop from one location to the other, I
have to set up the network connection from scratch.And even then I have
great difficulty in dialling out: it seems to connect OK according to
the log in kppp but nothing happens and my browser, for example, can't
access its home page.If I reconfigure the modem 2-3 times from scratch,
eventually it is OK, though the settings are always the same. Setting up
two profiles makes no difference. So at work I just set up the lan
manually then use wvdial for dialling out.

David
--
Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur