Hi.

On Sat 2003-01-25 at 15:52:48 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat Jan 25, 2003 at 03:21:52PM -0400, Adolfo Bello wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 14:30, Vincent Danen wrote:
> > > On Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 11:15:03PM -0600, jerry wrote:
> >
> > > You don't need a my.cnf.  I don't use one (never have) and have never
> > > had a problem because I don't have one.  Mind you, MySQL may not be
> > > optimized without it, but it isn't necessary for it to run.
> > This is true as long as you don't need transactions, rollbacks, commits,
> > referencial integrity (in version 4.0.9) and so on.
> > Without /etc/my.cnf you are restricted to MYISAM and BDB tables.
>
> True, but last I checked, we haven't touched MySQL 4.x yet so it's a
> moot point until we move to 4.x (ie. cooker has 3.23.54a which should
> be updated to .55 shortly).

The reference about 4.0.9 was only in regard with referencial
constraints, I think. At least all the other stuff (mainly requires
InnoDB table handler) is available with 3.23.x already (with Mandrake,
you have to install the MySQL-Max package).

Shouldn't Cooker move to 4.0.x? It is currently gamma and supposed to
be declared stable within a month or so, presumed no disaster happens.

> Actually, speaking of which, has anyone used 4.x at all?  Any initial
> reactions to it compared to 3.x?

Nice stuff. The query cache gives a nice boost, if your queries are
read-heavy. Most/all server settings are runtime variables now,
i.e. you can change key_cache without restarting the server. And
DELETEs can be based on a second table (multi-table deletes).
Rock-solid (since beta) for me - same as 3.23 - with applications
written for 3.23.x (had no time/reason yet to rewrite my apps).

I don't use the following stuff much, therefore no first-hand
expierience with it yet: FULLTEXT indexes and replication got a major
rewrite. You can link the mysql server as a library to your
application. And some other stuff listed here:

  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-4.0.x.html

Bye,

        Benjamin.

PS: I completely agree regarding my.cnf. For 08/15 usage there is no
    need for it.