On Tuesday 28 January 2003 12:03 pm, Albert E. Whale, CISSP wrote:
> I am curious as to Which OS Version you encountered this?
>
> I have a Sever running for Several Months on LM 8.2, when I install LM
> 9.0 it will not rung for more than a few days without encountering this
> message.  Any ideas?
>
> Praedor Tempus Atrebates wrote:
> >Some of what I have found with regards to messages like:
> >
> >Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 01100112
[...]

Really?  Perhaps another problem to chalk up to the many with 2.4.19 (and
higher) kernels?  I encountered this problem with Mandrake 9.0
kernel-2.4.19-2mdk, customized build.  I find I generally have to build my
own kernel to get wireless working properly regardless of version but 2.4.19
and 2.4.20 have given me fits - problems with filesystem support (both XFS
and RieserFS) and usb primarily.  Supermount hasn't been too much of a
problem for me as yet.

Oh yes, to get around the problems with the kernels to a point of actually
being able to USE 2.4.19, I had to build it using gcc2.96.  It seems that the
entire gcc 3.x series is screwed wrt kernel building.  If you build a kernel
with gcc 3.x you will loose XFS support at the very least.  I couldn't bring
up a ReiserFS system with 2.4.20 when built with gcc3.x either.  Using 2.96
didn't save me from the problem I mentioned about paging requests, however.
That just cleared itself up for perhaps the current boot cycle.  I rebooted
the magic number of times, I suppose, and this last time it worked.  I fear
rebooting again.

praedor

--
Conservatives of all times are adventitious liars.
- Friedrich Nietzsche.