On Wed Feb 05, 2003 at 08:23:57PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > That's what MandrakeSecure, the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing
> > list, updates for newer distribs, are all for.
> >
> > Put it this way:  Subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (you should
> > already be subscribed if you care about security anyways)... you will
> > be alerted on new updates whether they are security or bugfix.  The
> > advisory indicates what packages are updated, for what distrib, and
> > what the problem is.
> >
> > Visit http://www.mandrakesecure.net/advisories/ if you don't want to
> > subscribe.  The advisories for each platform are there.
> >
> > Download the src.rpm indicated in the advisory.  Either attempt to
> > rebuild it for your old distrib, or extract the patches and apply it to
> > whatever version you're currently using (backporting is likely
> > necessary).
> >
> > The information is already all there, and I'm willing to bet that
> > people who haven't upgraded their 7.1 machines are using this
> > information to keep their 7.1 system relatively current.
>
> So if this part of the support is going to continue there really isn't any
> need to panic?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll take a stab at it.  Will
MandrakeSecure continue to publish advisories?  Yes.  Will advisories
continue to go to the mailing lists?  Yes.  Will update srpms still
remain publically available?  Absolutely.

It depends on how much work you want to do.  You can either update to a
newer distrib, and do the work to do the migration, or do the work
patching/maintaining your old distrib.  It's up to you... the "tools"
will always be there.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"