On Wednesday 05 February 2003 11:38 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 06:15, et wrote:
> > I have noticed that Redhat, and M$ has lately published listing
> > reguardiing expected support cycles, and all of them are shorter than
> > what most people expect for manufactured products, but this is the way of
> > things, and even more so with computers, since the hardware is planned to
> > be obsolete in 3 to 4 years anyway.
>
> This is the sweet spot I'm talking about.... IF support cycles matched
> hardware life it would be IMHO a better proposition.  In other words
> doing support life by series not by release.  The  the life cycle of the
> series would more closely match the life of the hardware.  The problem
> now is to hit the sweet spot in Corporate world in such a way that they
> want/need MDK's support and are willing to pay for it! Product life
> cycle is cool.  I still feel it's a little short.
>
> James
>
> > the real problem (from my narrow little pinhole viewpoint) is
> > the need for applications needing all the computing power available.
> > while most companies got P3 M$ windows boxes, they still use them to
> > emmulate access to a termanel off the server, or run word. stuff they
> > could have done with the wyse monochrom termanal they threw away to have
> > pretty colors.

support the effort.  No one can offer that length of support and remain
competitive with other distros in terms of selling price.

MIcrosoft could support things for longer because their software does not
change as often.  the win95 kernel and the win 98 kernel were byte-for-byte
identical.  Expect to see MS dropping win2K next January.

(Horrid flash--writers of job descriptions will have fits as they try to
require "4 years experience" with the latest release of windows or linux)

Happy motoring!!!

Civileme