J. Grant wrote:
> > Mandrake 9.0 uses UDMA5 automatically (without program hdparm),
> > is this configured on booting are is it written at installation of
> > ML9.0 in some configuration file?
> mdk9 does not use UDMA5 by default. Your HD/BIOS initalise themselves
> to what they consider to be the fastest stable speed and setttings etc
> less /etc/sysconfig/harddisks
> You can override what mdk9 has in that file to change stuff, default
> is often very slow.

Everything in that file is commented out, ah now I understand Todd's
reply ("Default is everything commented out, so it's whatever the kernel
natively recognizes.  hdparm is only necessary if the kernel doesn't
quite recognize the ide controller chipset and you want to try to wring
every bit of performance you can out of it. Todd")

> > What program in Mandrake 9.0 is responsible for this, or is it just
> > the kernel that figures out what the highest UDMA setting is?
> man hdparm

No, hdparm is not installed in my freshly installed Mandrake 9.0 yet
dmesg shows:
"Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
 idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 89
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:11.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: WDC WD400BB-32CXA0, ATA DISK drive
hdc: LITE-ON LTR-24102B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 78165360 sectors (40021 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=4865/255/63,
UDMA(100)"

for hda it reports UDMA(100), the ide controller chipset is recognized
as VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller.
I think it is this part of the kernel that is responsible for it:
"usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/drivers/ide/pci/via82cxxx.c"

> > I think this utility is also on the DataLifeGuard floppy disk
> > dlgudma.exe - Data Lifeguard Ultra ATA Management
> I'm not sure why are considering this program as it will never work
> on GNU/Linux or GNU/Wine.

No, it is a booting floppy disk, the utility changes the UDMA setting
on the hard disk itself.

> > Did the corruption occur with these messages in syslog:
> > "EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_new_block: Allocating block
> > in system zone - block = 294914" ? What do these messages mean?
> Did you install with a search for badblocks?

No, but on my new install of ML9.0 I did, install didn't tell if it
found any badblocks.

> e2fsck -f -c /dev/hdX can do it for you now, make sure you are in
> single user mode though and your HD is mounted ro.

I already reinstalled ML9.0, but I tried on this new install
"e2fsck -f -c /dev/hda2": and it returned a bunch of errors. And this
is after a fresh install. I'll complain about this in another thread.

vatbier