<<snip>
> I don't have a 40-pin cable. If I use the hdparm command
> hdparm -k1 -d1 -X66 /dev/hda      (66:UDMA2), would this give the same
> effect? Can changing the UDMA setting  with hdparm give problems/errors?
> I also downloaded from the WDC website Data Lifeguard Tools that can
> change the udma setting on the hard drive itself. If I used this to
> change the UDMA to 2, would my linux have no problems with this (I'm a
> a little scared to use hdparm or WDC tools, in "man hdparm" they state
> "Use with extreme caution! This feature includes zero protection for
> the unwary, and an unsuccessful outcome may result in severe filesystem
> corruption!") ?
</snip>

I have had this happen a while back with a couple of cases of ASUS
boards we got in.  Install the boxes load up the OS... all was fine...
then suddenly the box couldn't find the hdd or if it did it reported the
drive as corrupted and fsck needed to be run.  IF you did run fsck the
data then did become corrupt.  But (as we found out by accident) you
would touch the ribbon cable all would be well again.  Seems that ASUS
got a bad lot of ribbon cables and was very happy when we called up
wanting them to replace the cables (Everyone else was blaming the whole
mobo!) They did and the problems went away.  The wires are thin and they
are pressed by machine... alignment can be off.

James