G'morning, Anne...

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 02:29 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> This is making interesting reading.  Do you think the Maxtor problem is
> specific to later, faster drives?  I've run a Maxtor and Fujitsu in tandem
> for longer than I care to think about, without problems.  Mandrake
> configures them correctly, too, but they are both 20GB disks, so not the
> latest and fastest.

There actually are several different problems I've either encountered or read
about:

1. If a non-Maxtor drive is on the same EIDE channel, *some* troubles may
occur,
especially if the Maxtor is on a UDMA high-speed cable OR if the Maxtor drive
is
one of the "new breed" of high-speed drives.

2. If the Maxtor is a high-speed drive, on the primary, and the other drive on
the channel is a low-speed Hitachi/Toshiba/Sanyo with the strange-looking
motherboard (pre-wired instead of jumpers) it won't work at all. (Fujitsu
drives
seem to work, so long as they are relatively modern.)

3. There is an older (pre-1999) problem relating to Maxtor drives that Steve
Gibson wrote about a few years ago, that *perhaps* describes some of the
technical issues we are seeing with relationship to Mandrake. His article
describes a lot of the technical issues involved in drive chain recognition,
which is how the problem manifests itself.

> Also, is it your experience that these problems occur only between pairs of
> HDDs, or do they equally occur when the slave is a cd/dvd/cd-rw?

I have seen some *really* cheap CD's that wouldn't work with Maxtor, but then
they were really picky about anyone else's drives, too. Most of these types of
problems occurred in the late 1990's, as I haven't seen any reoccurance of the
problems since. Another choice problem that is easily recognized is an early
CD
(Promise?) that came with the sound card on the CD-ROM drive. They only seem
run on Windoze, and even iffy at that.

So, if I were to hang my derierre *really* far out into target-space, I'd
suggest the following rules:

1. Whenever possible, use the same drive speeds, especially if they are going
be attached to the same cable on the same channel. If you run into problems
using a Maxtor drive and another drive manufactured by another company, put
them
on separate channels.

2. If you're going to use any of the new Maxtor UDMA high-speed drives and an
older CD-ROM, especially an early CD-ROM R/W, make sure the CD is not on the
same channel as the Maxtor. You'll get all kinds of interesting interactions
if
they are on the same channel, at least in my experience.

3. Again, the newest Maxtor drives don't work well, if at all, with some of
the
older slow Toshiba/Hitachi drives that came pre-configured (a WAG ) from the
factory, didn't have any jumper slots on the motherboard, and for the most
part
were sold through package deals. I started to add Sanyo to this list, but I
just
looked at my notes and there is only one model of Sanyo drive I've seen that
had
this problem, and that was a *long* time ago.

4. Here's one I just saw the other day: Three hard drives, one CD-ROM on a
newer
motherboard-provided EIDE/UDMA channel. The only way the drives spun up
properly
was putting the new Maxtor high-speed on the Primary Master, the Seagate
high-speed on Primary Slave, the second slower Seagate on Secondary Master,
and
the CD-ROM, a generic Sony look-alike on Secondary Slave. The slower Seagate
would work, but the entire drive chain was *slowed* dramatically once you put
the slow Seagate on the Primary channel. However, if you put it with the
CD-ROM
in the Slave position on the second channel, *everyone*, with the exception of
the CD-ROM, ran at the enhanced speeds. The guy had 120 gigabytes of space at
high speeds! I remember when 20 MEG cost a fortune. <sigh>

5. Whenever possible, put the first high-speed Maxtor drives on the Primary
chain as Master. They seem to like that. 8-)

6. Of course, in the same coin, some of the early Seagate EIDE slow drives
refused to work with a Maxtor unless they are in the Master position. Again,
there's a terribly funny piece floating around the internet about this
phenomenon.

And in case anyone thinks I'm bashing Maxtor drives, I'm not. I've been using
Maxtor drives nearly exclusively as my personal choice for almost two decades
in
nearly every network machine in my office, and am *delighted* beyond words
with
their no-BS warrantee policies.

Dave
- --
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project
Web Page:   http://www.kharma.net updated 01/20/2003
Usenet News server: news.kharma.net
Musicians Calendar and Database access: http://www.kharma.net/calendar.html

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
"Don't discount flying pigs before you have good air defense."
- -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]