On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 11:44, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 10:33, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > Jack,
> >
> >    Where as the intent and purpose behind it is fantastic.  I've found
> > things like this happening a little tooooo often. The cure has been rpm
> > -e msec --nodeps.  OR a lot of editing of msec.  Since for me I oft need
> > to change things run tests, change again.  It results in too many msec
> > edits to be practical.  I'm not looking for "lessons " from any of the
> > fans of msec and I know that if you have a stable "design" for your
> > laptop it has a purpose and a good one too.  But you might consider it
> > and see if it improves things. If it does, then you can make the
> > decision as to whether to edit and keep or put it into urpmi's skip
> > list.
> >
> > James
> >

> Hey James,
>
> I've had my share of msec-related difficulties, but this isn't one of
> them -- this is a set of mandrake scripts kicked off by the hotplug
> function. If you look back through the archives, I helped someone chase
> down why his camera was being recognized as something else, and it's an
> incredibly convoluted trail, about half python, half perl. I could try
> to edit or remove some of those scripts, but the chances of breaking
> something are too high.
>
> Of course, since I still don't have sound for some totally unknown
> reason, I'm not thrilled. Granted I am going against Mandrake's
> instructions by installing a cooker component on a 9.0 system, but since
> that was required to get the system to work at all I don't feel like I
> have a choice in the matter. The real puzzle to me is why reverting back
> to the old kernel didn't restore sound (already checked alsamixer).

Dang just thought of this.   Check the symlinks in /boot vs the
requirments in your lilo.conf.  I've noticed a number of times that when
I install a new kernel from cooker it moves vmlinuz from pointing to the
old vmlinuz-xxxxxx to the new one.  Now since the default kernel (linux)
is looking at lilo and booting vmlinuz initrd.img. You actually are
booting the same kernel in both cases.  I know this sounds convoluted as
heck but if you look into /boot it will clear up as to what I mean.

James