Anne... Club subscriptions are 100% revenue. Boxed sets aren't due to the printing, boxes, media, etc. The subscription, bringing in the higher revenue, is much more helpful. Boxed sets are great for those who need manuals or don't have the bandwidth to download, but for all others I'd suggest Club (if their interest is more in providing more money to MandrakeSoft rather than the vanity of having a ML box!)

Ok, I'm in a mood today:
I'm sorry people, but if I need to worry about such trivialities as this, then I really have to question whether I want to do business with a company on such a razors edge.

When was the last time you heard about a LMCE project? Seems that having an RHCE certification is valuable. But there is no corresponding LMCE.

How about the support programs available?

There's just far more out there that a company would look at when considering a distribution, than: "Gee, would it benefit them more if I bought the boxed set, or contributed..".

As a person in a position to make such decisions, and recomendations, I'd have a hard time with that on a corporate level.

I don't know of any other viable business that tries to survive on such a business model, as getting "sympathy dollars".
If they're short of revenue, then they start more agressivly market their products, and services. Or they get innovative, and come out with new products & services. They don't whine that they need money to stay alive, and prey on the sympathy of their user-ship to send in dollars.

Here in the U.S., Jerry Lewis used to do that once a year on a telethon. But he was saving lives.

It worked for him. It's not working for Mandrakesoft.

Now, after that, I WILL state that I will support the company I get my software from in all the usual ways. If buying a subscription for services will get me better support, I'll subscribe.
If paying for classes for a certification would help further my career, I'd pay for the classes (if offered).

Mandrakesoft is in the business of making money. So am I.
If they're short on revenue, they need to increase their market. It's just simple business sense.

Ric