On Tuesday 25 February 2003 03:25 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 12:12, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 Feb 2003 7:43 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > > The bottom line is that if you use the LM distros and you have the
> > > extra jack, which amounts to the cost of a magazine subscription, then
> > > you should be sending that money to the Mandrake club or getting a
> > > boxed set from Mandrakesoft.  That's only the right thing to do.  This
> > > should be punctuated with the realization that the survival of the
> > > company, the paychecks of the development teams, the other employee's
> > > paychecks and the quality of life of their families are all at stake.
> > > In other words a little compassion and a magazine subscription will go
> > > a long way, not just for you truly but also for the future of everybody
> > > else involved.
> >
> > LX - I have read your views on this before, and I do agree with them.  Am
> > I right in thinking, though, that it benefits MandrakeSoft more if I use
> > downloads and use the savings on the club?  Last time I bought a boxed
> > set, but if this is so I will use the downloads and go for an upgraded
> > club membership.
>
> More cash goes to Mandrake more quickly if you buy the membership. Box
> sets are eaten into by the distributor, shipping company, production
> company... The flipside is of course that un-purchased box sets are a
> tremendous waste of everyone's resources. Personally I use downloads and
> buy a club membership, hoping that MandrakeSoft can accurately gauge
> demand for box sets.
I noticed my local (Charlotte NC) CompUSA is still stocking Mandrake 8.2
powerpacks.

I always download (via modem, takes weeks, but thank you, d4x) the "final"
version, and I pre-order from the Mandrake Store a box set too, since all the
"joys and toys" of the boxed set are not included in the download. I also
have a silver membership, and if i compare what I get with that, to the
purchase of 1 legal copy of M$ anything win9x or better, and the purchase of
a legal copy of the current M$ office suite, I am still ahead by 50%.
and who in their right mind would want to buy anything M$ these days?