On Tuesday February 25 2003 05:10 pm, flacycads wrote:
>  Given that, it's going to be hard to convince me that trying to
> optimize Linux and gcc for newer cpus is not worth the trouble.
> However, I'll keep an open mind on the subject, and I'm certainly
> not an expert.
>
> Robert Crawford

    OK, I'll give up on Texstar results, and the Mdk-Gentoo
comparisons. As I said I've only read about those. In my experience
tho, with my 1.4 Tbird (always oc'd to 1.5), compiling for athlon,
even the kernel, is just somethin to do when I'm bored. I've never
seen any measurable performance increase, or 'lookn feel'
improvement.

    I'm always usin the most recent gcc, since I'm always runnin
cooker. Optimizing with 'hdparm -t' to get 47mb/sec from my drives,
running the ram at aggressive timings (cas2, 4 bank-interleaving),
and using slighty over spec voltages for Vcore (cpu) and I/O (ram),
does show measurable preformance increases in the range of 5 to 10%.
Y'allsMMV