Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
<snip>

IMHO - Mandrake needs to settle back, and stop letting Redhat drive. They need to get control of their release cycles, and content

policies.

Then they can concentrate on putting out a quality release, not a fast

one.

I agree on alot of what you are saying above. There are just too many
parallels between RH and LM; which is not surprising since LM was
originally an improved spin-off of RH. That was it's attraction in the
beginning, which for me was Helios, LM61. My point (in the thread that
I *think* you are referring to <g>) was that the distro could possibly
benefit from a longer beta/cooker cycle, in the aspect that more
bugzilla reports could be filed and addressed, more changes could
possibly be made in UI's (if you know what I mean) among other things. What about pressed CD contracts negotiated on 8 months instead of 6? Things like that.

No, not all. A 6 month release cycle is easily achievable. It just depends on what you're trying to put in the release.

Keep the 6 month cycle for point releases. BUT: There should be no "major" content changes in a point release. This would greatly relieve the stress on the Mandrake Development team.

Limit point releases to just minor revisions, and bug fixes. The content should be set at the Major level. And yes, we could argue all day about just what constitutes Major content, vs minor content, and that level of detail is really beyond the poing I was making.

And in reality, it's all just wasted bandwidth anyway. It's not like Mandrakesoft will see this, and say: "Wow, he's absolutely right! We need to change our business model today!!!".. :)
I guess I was just blowing off steam.

I suppose if I wanted to mandate how a distro should be put together, and run, I'd have to start my own distro.

The devil's advocate point of view might be that LM is directly in
competition with RH, therefore from a marketing standpoint they may
actually NEED a 6 month cycle for purposes of competition.  My points
were purely conjecture from the standpoint of having a better product,
without considering things like competition or otherwise.  I really need
to have lunch with the CEO one day. <g>

I absolutely agree.
They ARE in competition with RH. On many levels. That's exactly why (IMHO) they need to very carefully look at the issues that are causing them problems. Let's face it, if they were a fat, healthy company, the tenor of this conversation would be quite different.

2) My biggest complaint about Mandrake: (yup.. gonna get shot at for this one)

STOP BEGGING! I hate that!

No flames here. But I would ask that you resort to some logic on this topic. For instance, let's consult the dictionary on begging:

<snip> Sorry, it was long.

I'll just say: "Thank you Mr. Clinton once again for providing us with the 'real' definition of sex."

Ric