civileme schrieb:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2003 10:47 pm, Adrian Golumbovici
> wrote:
> > Funny stuff which I don't really understand is that in
> installer I could
> > select my radeon, and XFree86 4.3.0 with hardware
> acceleration with no prob
> > and the test would show the X screen in my chosen
> resolution and colors,
> > but after reboot X doesn't start anymore with the
> classical error that no
> > screens were found.
> >
> > Is anything different in the X screen showed during the
> config test in
> > installer and the way X starts normally?!?
> > I would expect that if my hardware combination isn't
> supported, then also
> > the test inside the configuration part of the installer
> would choke too...
> >
> > :/
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Adrian

A few questions tho... XFree86 4.3.0 is supposed to support the Radeon
9700 (to what extent... I couldn't find any info on their site). I
think the agpgart might be the prob. I am wondering if the agpgart
module supports at least the nforce (not the nforce2) chipset. If I am
not mistaken it doesn't though it has been on the market for quite a
while now. That is probably due to the lack of support from nvidia. I
am thinking of helping reverse engineering the AGP part of the board so
we could have support also for nforce2, but I dunno how to do that. I
am a programmer myself but never went that deep in linux stuff. I would
need all the help I can get on this matter.
Second question would be: Is there any chance to tell XFree86 not to do
those strict tests anymore? The system on which the problem is, is my
"play station" so I am not that sad if linux gets trashed in the
process (I can always reinstall and start all over again).
Any chance of finding usefull stuff in implementing the agpgart for
this board from the NVIDIA_kernel sources which builds the NVAGP? I've
seen they provide a tarball and sorce rpm for unsupported linux
versions, and their NVAGP is supposed to work with the nforce2...

Best regards,
Adrian