> Righty ho, time to post ....
>
> I've come late to the thread, but not the issue - I posted not so long ago
> about using the Radeon 9000 board under MDK.
>
> Here's what partially works for me:
>
> 1.Backup your current /etc/X11/XF86-Config 4 to .org
> 2. Download the ATI Linux drivers
> 3. Install them, using --force if necessary, as per their instructions
(AFAICT
> this is needed to overwrite the existing libGLcore stuff)
> 4. Run their version of XFConfig (all as per instructions) to generate an
> initial config file - don't start X Windows yet!!!
> 5. Munge the .org file with the new file - things like font paths, mice,
> monitors etc. In fact, I ended up just using the graphics section, and
> matching the screen identifier:
>
>  **********************************************************************
>
> # Any number of graphics device sections may be present
>
> # Standard VGA Device:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Standard VGA"
>     VendorName  "Unknown"
>     BoardName   "Unknown"
>
> # The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
> # the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.
>
> #    Chipset     "generic"
>
> # The Driver line must be present.  When using run-time loadable driver
> # modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
> # module.  Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
> # indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.
>
>     Driver      "vga"
> # The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
> # this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
> # section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
> # devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
> # normally be included unless there is more than one video device
> # installed.
>
> #    BusID       "PCI:0:10:0"
>
> #    VideoRam    256
>
> #    Clocks      25.2 28.3
>
> EndSection
>
> # === ATI device section ===
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
>     Driver                              "fglrx"
> # === disable PnP Monitor  ===
>     #Option                              "NoDDC"
> # === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
>     Option "no_accel"                   "no"
>     Option "no_dri"                     "no"
> # === Fire GL DDX driver module specific settings ===
> # === Screen Management ===
>     Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"
>     Option "Display2"                   "0"
>     Option "HSync2"                     "unspecified"
>     Option "VRefresh2"                  "unspecified"
>     Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
>     Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"
> # === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
> [...]

Thx for the info. Can you give me some more info on the following points
please:

1. The problem is that the module from ATI doesn't load if agpgart is not
loaded, or am I mistaken and there was some other strange reason for my X
server failing?!?
2. Do you have the agpgart loaded?
3. Does your system have a nforce2 chipset?

Best regards,
Adrian