On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:43:12 +0100 Benjamin Pflugmann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri 2003-03-14 at 21:48:20 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Friday 14 March 2003 08:35 pm, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> >

> > >   Does Mdk even try just *starting* the applications included in a
> > > release?
>
> I am not sure they should. There are a lot of testers out there. And
> if none of them bothered to try the app *and* report problems, I would
> consider it reasonable to remove that app, because apparently nobody
> cares enough about it.

That's plain wrong thinking...  if Mdk wants to limit their sales to just
those who test/run Cooker, I might agree...  BUT...  they want to sell as
much as they can, and they really have no way of telling how people will
use the distro.  If there are some applications that won't even *start*,
what does that say for Mdk QA???  After all, the distro is named "Mandrake
Linux", not "Linux By A Rag-tag Bunch of Cooker/Wannabe Testers Who Didn't
Have the Time or Inclination to Test All the Applications: Good Luck!"...

Virtually all the applications are not developed at Mandrake, just built
there...  so I see no reason why the apps can't at least be started to
make sure the builds are of _some_ use....  or maybe the term NOOP is no
longer well known.

> > > I'm still quite miffed at 9.0 for a number of reasons; however, last
> > > night, I asked another list member if ohphone just *started* in
> > > 9.1rc2...
> > >
> > >   NOPE!  "pwlib problem"
> > >
> > Did anybody test it on the current cooker?  IIRC, rc2 was almost 3
> > weeks ago now.
>
> Well, I just installed it from current cooker (ohphone-1.3.5-1mdk) and
> could start it without problem. Did not include much testing, because
> I did not care to read the manual, but I can make it searching for
> something it calls "gatekeeper". :-)

OK...  THANK YOU! *that's* what I want to hear...  but I still believe the
packagers should at least *start* whatever they are building -- there is
no other way to ensure the build is even usable.

I convinced several users to make the move from Windows to Mandrake during
8.x; but with 9.0, ZERO!

> Yes, there were some fixes only after RC2:
>
>   $ rpm -q --changelog ohphone
>   * Tue Mar 11 2003 Florin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>   - 1.3.5
>   - update requires
>   - remove already intergrated c++fixes patch
>   - update the lib64 patch
>
>   * Sun Dec 01 2002 Gwenole Beauchesne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   1.2.11-2mdk
>
>   - Patch2: Make it lib64 aware
>
> I also searched the the bug database. Not a single entry for ohphone.
> Maybe there was a report directly on the cooker mailing list.

For 9.0, I reported it, was even blamed for building it wrong, pointed out
I just installed it, got the impression it would be fixed, not!

If Mdk don't fix broken apps in a distro, they won't last IMO.

> Anyhow, regarding the the late update, I would say: blame yourself.
> (I do not mean anyone particular with yourself here.)

The first part sounds like flame-bait; but the 2nd...  unable to grok.

> Anyone can easily get a working ohphone by testing *and* reporting
> problems early. This process works. Really.

Yup... you're right; but then, WHAT is the point of including broken apps
in a distro...?  Maybe the cooker process would be a WHOLE LOT smoother if
the apps weren't just "make; throw over the fence and keep fingers
crossed..."

I have several books on software quality I'd be glad to donate to Mdk, if
I thought they'd read them...