This time Todd Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
becomes daring and writes:

> Bryan Whitehead wrote on Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:20:23AM -0800 :
>>
>> After finally getting 9.0 installed (5 hours later), I noted that there
>> is much less scsi drivers built for the BOOT kernel then other kernels.
>> Why is this? Can't stage2 just have every kernel module built for
>> completeness? What the hell is the point of including the mpt drivers in
>> all the other kernels except the install kernel?
>
> Space is at a premium.  Mandrake already takes a little bit of heat
> because we require 64 Megs to do an install (can do it in 32, but then
> it can't inflate the compressed ramdisk image and hence cannot unmount
> the CD so only CD1 can get installed).  Care to up the minimum system
> requirements to 96 Megs?  We rule out nearly everything old in the
> process, which is one of the things that attracts people to Linux in the
> first place.  Maybe not Mandrake so much, as we tend to be flashier (ie
> bigger footprint).
>
> It's a quandry.  Support the old at the expense of the new?  Or support
> the new and alienate a community of loyalists?  I wish there was an easy
> answer.

  Why not make CD1 installer for big boxes and CD2 installer for small
  boxes? that way you get the best of both worlds :)

  Vox

--
Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs.  Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_