Bill Mullen wrote:
On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 15:30, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
[snip]

I can understand if you just don't have the driver, but when it's there in the regular kernels, and I can't install the damn machine, what the hell?

Scsi drivers and network drivers should always be included. At least you can get the system installed and up for post-config. The way it is now I'm screwed, all new dell's shipping (the 550 series we buy) have the LSI mpt series 320 SCSI cards. (mptbase and mptscsih need to be modprobed).

[snip]

AIUI, hitting F1 at the installer's LILO splash screen and typing
"expert" at the ensuing LILO prompt gives you, amongst other things, the
opportunity to load additional filesystem modules from a floppy for use
by the 2nd stage installer; while this is designed for third-party
modules, I don't see what would prevent it from loading native kernel
modules as well.

Perhaps just copying the mptbase and mptscsih modules from a working
install onto a floppy would give you what you need for your subsequent
installs? Or have you already tried this method?

The modules are not even _compiled_ for the install (BOOT) kernel. So I cannot. I can't pull mptbase and mptscsih from 2.4.19-24mdk and insmod them into a 2.4.19-24mdkBOOT kernel (version mismatch). I need mptbase and mptscsi to be built with the BOOT kernel.

Too top it off, if I rehack stage2 so the modules are inserted (after I hack stage1 with a working kernel - like 2.4.19-24mdk), other parts of stage2 don't remember to update /etc/modules.conf right, so the initrd images are broke - cannot boot after install.

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology