On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 19:32, David E. Fox wrote:
> > well, that sux. I'm sure that the upgrade from cds will break tons of
> > things. That's the reason I switched to freebsd :)
>
> Mine (via 9.0 urpmi) went fairly smoothy - despite that an upgrade
> downloaded over 600 megs' worth of new RPMS :(. There was a little
> glitch with apache (having both apache and apache2) but that doesn't
> seem to affect anything here. I did lose functionality on the printer,
> which I thought strange, but a delete and then adding a new printer
> fixed that problem. (The printer would accept jobs but they'd
> mysteriously go to /dev/null.)
>
> > I'm going to try 9.1 and if the problem with packages remains, bye bye
>
> You might try debian as well. Gentoo is supposed ho have a ports
> system. I don't have enough experience to determine whether ports is
> superior.
>
> In my (prior) experience with slackware, you basically upgraded
> packages yourself, picked what you wanted to upgrade too, grabbed the
> source code and recompiled. There wasn't any real upgrade path other
> than reinstalling with a newer distro.

Slack follows a very BSD like system of upgrades.  It also releases a
lot less often.  (about 1 every 18 months or so) Which is probably why
one of the largest co-locate facilities in the valley is all slack...
High reliability long life.  In BSD I've run technically 5 year old
installs that where as up2date (as a server) as the latest version.  (it
died when I could no longer buy replacement parts... most notably 33mhz
ram. but ... my partner is using it in his house as a firewall now.)

James