I had some trouble getting a Mandrake 9.0 installation to act as an
"application server" accessed from an X terminal.  I finally got it
working -- I found that kdm (or xdm or gdm) was not running (even
though I was using kde locally (on that machine) just fine.

I started kdm, and after a few false starts, was able to connect from a
remote X terminal.  (Prior to any of this, I had gotten a Knoppix
installation to work as an application server, and had gone through the
drill of commenting and uncommenting the appropriate lines in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess, .../xdm-config, and /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
([Xdmcp]=false to true).)

Two questions:

1. Is this the intended behavior in Mandrake, or should this be logged
as a bug?

2. Where is the most appropriate place (file) to add the kdm command so
it restarts on every boot, etc.?

Thanks!  I am still subscribed to this mailing list, and will try to
scan for a response (I'll try to find a "watch this thread" setting or
similar), but with the high traffic on this list, I would appreciate an
email cc.

regards,
Randy Kramer