On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 04:38, Randy Kramer wrote:
> I had some trouble getting a Mandrake 9.0 installation to act as an
> "application server" accessed from an X terminal.  I finally got it
> working -- I found that kdm (or xdm or gdm) was not running (even
> though I was using kde locally (on that machine) just fine.
>
> I started kdm, and after a few false starts, was able to connect from a
> remote X terminal.  (Prior to any of this, I had gotten a Knoppix
> installation to work as an application server, and had gone through the
> drill of commenting and uncommenting the appropriate lines in
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess, .../xdm-config, and /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
> ([Xdmcp]=false to true).)
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is this the intended behavior in Mandrake, or should this be logged
> as a bug?
>
> 2. Where is the most appropriate place (file) to add the kdm command so
> it restarts on every boot, etc.?

Sounds like you are using startx to start kde.... if so this means you
are at run level 3 not 5 ... no problem.  In /etc/inittab change this
line.

id:3:initdefault:

id:5:initdefault:

this will put you in runlevel 5 (graphical) from the go.  Then in
/etc/sysconfig/ there is a file called desktop.  It should say something
like

DISPLAYMANAGER=GDM

or for kdm  KDM   this sets which dm you use at boot.

> Thanks!  I am still subscribed to this mailing list, and will try to
> scan for a response (I'll try to find a "watch this thread" setting or
> similar), but with the high traffic on this list, I would appreciate an
> email cc.

Wow if you think this one is high traffic don't subscribe to the cooker
list *grin*

James