On Thursday 27 March 2003 02:36 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 04:45, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 March 2003 12:03 am, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > > Just curious here... what does start  does it go straight into
> > > kde?

Whether I have DESKTOP=KDE, DESKMANAGER=KDM, or both in the
/etc/sysconfig/desktop file, the system goes directly into KDE.

That was not the original configuration, but I've installed Mandrake
7.2, then 8.1, 8.2, and 9.0 maintaining the same home partition.

In one of those installs I must have chosen a different option, or there
is some crud in my home directory that made the change.  (I did have
something like that happen with Mozilla.)

Anyway, I don't plan to pursue this any further.  I've put "kdm" in
rc.local so I can log in from an X terminal.

If others have the same trouble, maybe there is a bug in kde -- maybe
very few people ever try using Mandrake 9.0 as an application server.

regards,
Randy Kramer