Thanks for the info guys. Very interesting, and now I know it can be done.
Maybe I'll give it a try from a 2.5.65 from kernel.org first, just to see if
I can master the procedure. I did succeed with the 2.4.20 + patches, and I
have rebuilt the 2.4.21-pre4 srpm for athlon-xp, and that worked too. If I'm
not careful, I might wind up knowing almost what I'm doing here!

Robert Crawford