-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Anne Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, 1 April 2003 10:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] open source spreadsheet file format.

On Tuesday 01 Apr 2003 3:10 pm, Frankie wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have to write a webapp with a downlaod option for the data..
> at present the format is in .csv (comma seperated values)
>
> however there are massive limitations to what csv can display. notably
> there is no way to make headers of format the data at all
>
> In word processors we have rich text format (.rtf) is there anything
> available that does the same thing for spreadsheets?
>
> It must be openable in excel, lotus etc.. and hopefully openoffice as
> well...
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on this one??

Stating the obvious, Franki, but couldn't it stay as a spreadsheet?  .xls
can
be opened in Excel, Lotus 1-2-3 (as long as you are not using the latest
edition additions) and OOo - though if macros were involved it would be more
difficult.

If you need to test anything against Lotus 1-2-3 you could send it to me -
I'm
happy to help.

Anne
--